We had our first "movie club" meeting at BARNES AND NOBLE this past Wednesday night. It was really nice and everyone was quite friendly. A lot of people were talking about how sick they were of the remakes/new take on the horror classics. Although I enjoyed the Rob Zombie version of HALLOWEEN, it will NEVER scare me as much as the original did. I liked both MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D and the new FRIDAY THE 13Th--just because I thought they were fun. Although I am looking forward to the new A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, I already know what to expect and where the scares are going to be. That's why I have really enjoyed some of the straight to DVD movies, because even though they might be crap. Last night I watched MIDNIGHT MOVIE (which I bought at Wal-Mart for $7.50) and thought it was actually really good. The final question of the night was "Where do you see the horror movie genre going?" and I thought of a few things:
1. I think the zombie craze will be coming to a close by the end of the year.
2. All HOSTEL type movies will finally come to an END.
3. I think we are going to see a lot of horror films coming from Europe.
4. I don't believe that we will see any new horror icons (Jason, Freddy, etc) for a long while.
5. TWILIGHT is not a fucking horror movie.